|Judy Garland Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||June 10, 1922|
|Date of Death||June 22, 1969|
Judy Garland was an American actor, singer, dancer, vaudevillian, and radio presenter who has gained worldwide acclaim with her role as Dorothy Gale in The Wizard of Oz (1939). She was ranked as the 8th-greatest female screen legend of classic Hollywood cinema by the American Film Institute in 1999. Garland has also been a recipient of several accolades including the Academy Juvenile Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Special Tony Award as well as became the first woman to win the Grammy Award for “Album of the Year” (for her 1961 live recording titled Judy at Carnegie Hall).
Frances Ethel Gumm
Judy, Baby, Baby Gumm, Miss Show Business, Joots
She was born on June 10, 1922.
On June 22, 1969, she died at 47 from an accidental barbiturate overdose in London, England, United Kingdom.
Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Los Angeles, California, United States
Grand Rapids, Minnesota, United States
Garland received training in a dance school run by Ethel Meglin, proprietress of the Meglin Kiddies dance troupe.
Actor, Singer, Dancer, Vaudevillian, Radio Presenter
- Father – Francis Avent “Frank” Gumm (1886-1935) (Vaudevillian)
- Mother – Ethel Marion (née Milne) (1893-1953) (Vaudevillian)
- Siblings – Mary Jane “Suzy/Suzanne” Gumm (Older Sister) (Actor), Dorothy Virginia “Jimmie” Gumm (Older Sister) (Actor)
- Others – William Tecumseh Gumm (Paternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Clementine/Clemintine/Clemmie W. Baugh (Paternal Grandmother), John Milne (Maternal Grandfather), Evelyn/Eva Marion Fitzpatrick (Maternal Grandmother)
She was managed by Sidney Luft throughout the 1950s and early 1960s.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, her net worth was $40 Thousand at the time of her death.
4 ft 11½ in or 151 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Judy Garland had dated –
- Spencer Tracy (1939)
- John F. Kennedy (1940)
- Artie Shaw (1940-1941)- Her first serious adult romance was with bandleader Artie Shaw who left Garland shattered in early 1940 as he eloped with actor Lana Turner.
- David Rose (1941-1944) – On July 27, 1941, she got married to musician David Rose who gave her an engagement ring on her 18th birthday. She had an abortion in 1941 while pregnant with Rose’s child. In January 1943, the duo agreed to a trial separation and divorced in 1944.
- David Remar (1942-1943)
- Tyrone Power (1943)
- Orson Welles (1944) – RUMOR
- Joan Crawford (1944) – RUMOR
- Marlene Dietrich (1944) – RUMOR
- Vincente Minnelli (1945-1951) – She got married to director Vincente Minnelli on June 15, 1945, and their daughter Liza May Minnelli was born on March 12, 1946. The marriage ended in divorce on March 29, 1951.
- Katharine Hepburn (1947) – RUMOR
- Frank Sinatra
- Marilyn Monroe (1948) – RUMOR
- Sidney Luft (1952-1965) – She tied the knot with her tour manager and producer Sidney Luft on June 8, 1952, in Hollister, California. Judy gave birth to their daughter Lorna Luft on November 21, 1952, and to their son Joey Luft on March 29, 1955. She sued Sidney Luft for divorce on the grounds of mental cruelty in 1963. They divorced in 1965.
- Jonathan Goldsmith (1963)
- Mark Herron (1965-1969) – She legally married actor Mark Herron on November 14, 1965, but they separated after 5 months as she testified that Herron had beaten her. He, however, claimed that he “only hit her in self defense”. They divorced in 1969.
- Mickey Deans (1969) – On March 15, 1969, she married her final husband musician and entrepreneur Mickey Deans after 3 years of intermittent dating. They remained together until her death.
Race / Ethnicity
Judy Garland was of English, Irish, and Scottish descent.
- Petite frame
- Deep sultry voice
- Expressive eyes
Judy Garland Favorite Things
- Song That She Had Recorded – Over the Rainbow
- Actor – Robert Donat
Source – Wikipedia, IMDb
Judy Garland Facts
- She experienced weight-related issues almost throughout her life.
- In March 1969, she made her last concert appearance in Copenhagen.
- She was friends with Lucille Ball.
- In June 2022, Judy Garland was recognized as Turner Classic Movies Star of the Month in honor of her 100th birthday.
Featured Image by Studio Publicity / eBay / Public Domain